Although there are lots of great non-monetary benefits that come from having your writing featured on your favorite sites, very few of us would turn down cash as compensation for providing a stellar written piece.
Luckily, there are quite a few sites who feel the same (and still more who are working toward being able to pay contributors soon!). For an extensive list of paid writing opportunities, visit our DIRECTORY.
1. Mamalode – A parenting magazine that focuses on a different theme each month. Mamalode is “filled with stories, poems, playlists, slideshows, reviews and great people.“
PAYMENT – Mamalode tracks unique views for a period of time after the piece is published, and has a pay scale that increases with those views. Mamalode is very interested in increasing this scale over time. Current rates can be found in their submission manager.
2. BlogHer – “BlogHer is a platform for sharing great voices, stories and ideas.”. With categories of food, family, style, love & sex, work/life, DIY, health, entertainment, news & politics, and blogs & social media, BlogHer covers a wide span of interests.
PAYMENT – At the time this post is being published, BlogHer pays $50 per syndicated or assigned post. Pitch an editor with Syndicated or Original Content or us the Syndication Form
3. Cracked – “We offer heaps of facts smothered in humor. We are the professors you wish you had in school; we are Indiana Jones except with less adventures and more sarcasm.”
PAYMENT – At the time of this post, payment is $100 per accepted post for the first 4 posts. Subsequent accepted posts will be paid at a rate of $200. They also pay a bonus of $100 if your post is one of the top 10 most successful articles for the month. Create an account and check their writer’s workshop for current rates.
Other Useful links: Write For Cracked
4. Matador Network – “Matador is a global community of travel journalists, filmmakers, athletes, photographers, and writers producing original stories and videos on people, place, music, sports, and culture worldwide.”
PAYMENT – At the time of this post, standard payment is $20 or $25 depending on article type and length; Check Submission Guidelines for current rates.
Other Useful Links: Submission Link
5. The Sun Magazine – Offered in both digital and print versions, “The Sun is an independent, ad-free monthly magazine that for nearly forty years has used words and photographs to invoke the splendor and heartache of being human.” This publication pays for accepted work.
PAYMENT – At the time of this post, payment is from $300 to $2000 for essays and interviews, $300 to $1,500 for fiction, and $100 to $200 for poetry. Contributors are also given a complimentary one-year subscription to The Sun. Check Submission Guidelines for current rates.